Friday, August 05, 2011

Summer time part II

*This blog was composed a few days ago, and I am finally getting it all uploaded and ready to post-- tricky to do with the internet here in Uganda sometimes...*

So… you can run but you can’t hide apparently. Two full days of being awake all day, two full nights of sleep—aided perhaps, or ensured I should say, with the help of Tylenol pm. And NOW I find my self wide awake at 12:45? Shoot. Well… Its high time I caught up on some blog blog blogging anyhow. How did I let it go for so long? Especially with all that instantaneous high speed internet whizzing around back in the States?? I am in Uganda again… getting jet lag out of the way and ready for this new semester.

And though the summer was packed, it was full of goodness. Namely good good friends who made time in their busy schedules to spend some days with me.

After Florida I had some down time at home in Illinois before I set off on my easternly adventure, which started in Nashville… We had what can best be described as ‘work meetings,’ So I met up with Gwyn, Mark, Meg and other folks from other programs and the US office folk for four days. It was an interesting, informative and good fun time. It was especially nice to meet people from other programs and get a sense of the bigger picture. (All under the same umbrella organization we have four domestic programs and seven international programs.) We had some fun line dancing in downtown Nashville one fine evening… and listened to some great live music other evenings. The Contemporary Music Center (program in Nashville) put on quite a show!


From Nashville I touched down oh-so-(too)-briefly in Baltimore and saw my great, quirky friend Mary (maker of the infamous MaryMugs) before meeting up with Katie and heading out to her farm in the beautiful farmlands of eastern PA. Oh, it was great… to see her DOING what she has dreamed of doing these past years. Her own CSA farm with her sister Anna. Living in a dilapidated-but-charming old farm house with two quirky roommates, a dog named Fiddle and a new kitty named…. Well, we don’t know the name just yet. Perhaps Bow?


farm flowers.


We ate delicious home grown food… We weeded parsnips… we walked back in the orchards with our G&Ts, sat by peaceful isolated ponds… had many a good, long conversation... oh it was lovely.

I spent a needed and appreciated day in the hammock… A gloriously hot day, reading bits of an old Kingsolver novel… appreciating my ice water in a mason jar waiting for Rita, Juan and Lucia to show up.

So from six weeks to 15 months (did I get that right, Rita?) What a change! Here is this little live wire—this running, inquisitive, non-stop little person with a mind and a will of her own! Lucia. Oh, but we had a lovely time. More delicious homemade Katie pizza and cucumber salad… A delicious homemade sour cherry pie thanks to Katies sweet roommates, a bonfire, fun music and fireflies!






The following day a tour of the farm, some fun harvesting with Auntie Katie… a chilly lake to cool down in and fabulous picnic lunch. Katie does it right, that’s for sure!


From the magical farm lands of Pennsylvania, I headed back to G-burg with Rita, Juan and La Luce and a few more days of good soul connection. Good conversations and a fun outing to Fredericksburg.

I flew out of Reagan on a Tuesday evening and had the chance to spend a few hours with Beth and little Than. What a happy little guy… and how nice to see them in their bright, beautiful new place in DC!

Thats right folks, just call me Auntie Rachel! More babies this summer than I quite knew what to do with, but what fun.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Rach. it was so good to have you visiting. Thank you for coming to see all of us. and for sharing rita, la lucw and juan with me:) miss you!