Tuesday, August 16, 2011

my other summer (mis)adventure

I'm debating... is this post worthy material?? Perhaps not. May be a little gross. So viewers beware... BUT... I now consider it my duty to warn all you out there... SKIN CANCER IS REAL! And will sneak up on you unawares...

So, I decided to be a responsible adult this summer and do all my routine medical stuff-- you know, dentists, doctors, dermatologists etc. I generally avoid medical stuff like the plague and stay as far away from needles as I can get (blood-sucking needles). But every once in a while I think, actually I AM getting older, and I really ought to just make sure alls well. Right?

So being back in the US this summer, I went for an all over skin check. Never had one of those before. Things looked fine, except for a 'suspicious' mole on my back... which was sliced off for testing... And she found this birth bump thing on my ear and says 'well lets just take that off, you don't need it any more.' Ssssswipe! With a mean sharp razor and it was gone too. She tells me I'll get the labs back in a weeks or so. A week or so later I found out the mole was totally fine-- but the thing on my ear was skin cancer! Just basal cell carcinoma, but skin cancer nonetheless! Oh my. And that I needed to come back in and have the rest of it removed...

So I did... and long story short, ended up having to go to another doctor to have whats called Mohs surgery, got an extra 10 days in the US with my mom AND got to see Harry Potter 7.2! But the surgery-- no fun. The post op stuff- NO fun... A weird looking ear... well, I guess I'll live, but who wants that?

So... I'm telling you all now, go be responsible adults and get checked! And wear sun screen. And if you REALLY need convincing, here are some fun photos for you:

Me with my 'clam shell' pressure bandage after the surgery, in which they scooped a serious chunk out of the side of my head. Ear. Oh it was gross.
The stitches after the clam shell came off...They had to do some reconstructive stuff-- cut a triangle of skin out from below and pull it up to cove the gaping hole in the side of my head. The equivalent of a mini-face lift apparently.
All cleaned up...
Stiches out!
And two weeks post suture removal... looking pretty good hey?
But it still feels mighty weird. And I have to massage scar cream on it twice a day for a year... and wear lots of sunscreen and cover it up if I'm in the sun for a long time... and supposedly go back to the dermatologist every six months... thats not QUITE what I had in mind for the rest of my life... but better than cancer!

So... moral of the story? SUNSCREEN. And go get your skin checked... (and go watch HP7.2- its FANTASTIC!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooooohweee. Thanks for the dramatic and awesome pictures. :) I love the little by little progress. Except I wish there was a "before" cause I can't remember what exactly was on your ear that they had to take off. Anyways, looks great. And c'mon, a year of scar cream??? I had my knee surgery in the summer and gave up on scar cream after a month. Who can remember that? Besides, scars are cool. It'll look great with your earrings. :) Love ya!
MJ

Jesse said...

Oh pole sana, Rachel! I wouldn't be very surprised if I get one of those diagnosis. Although my mom did do a good job of torturing me with sunscreen and "swim shirts" (way before the snazzy things kids have now!). So good to talk to you on the phone before you left. Stay in touch!

Katie said...

Rach. thanks for sharing. my it has healed so well. It is good to see the progress of cancer removed:) so glad your ear is well again. And so glad you ear looks so good:)