Saturday, August 11, 2012

Toenails telling time.

I find it rather interesting measuring the passage of time through different things that change at different rates. Like the moon for example-- "last full moon I was in the US, this full moon I'm in Uganda and next full moon I'll be in Rwanda..." Or haircuts, "I've gotten my hair cut three times since christmas..." Or TOENAILS. Exactly a month ago I got them beautifully pedicured in Missoula for my sisters wedding. They've grown about a sixteenth (?) of an inch in that month. The line of color/no color clearly visible as they grow out. Its like that line marks an important moment in history for me. And three months ago I climbed Mt. Elgon, which is all but forgotten- physically I mean, except that my two middle toe nails just fell off this past week, making my otherwise still decent pedicure look a little goofy. So tomorrow I'll cut my toenails, and restart my toenail clock with a fresh coat of paint. What will I be doing NEXT time I have to cut my toenails, and remembering back to this moment of blogging about it, a week before the students arrive?


(Or this is just a window into a bizarre way of thinking about things.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

smile...