Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Gone....!!!

The great and mighty Bujagali Falls...




... are GONE!
Uganda has one dam-- has had it since the early 50's? I think... Its presence disappeared Rippen Falls, at the Source of the Nile back in the day... and another big hydroelectric dam has been in the works for forever. There has been talk of it and the effect it will have on the river for years. I mean YEARS. Essentially Bujagali falls would disappear. My dad and I were just there in August and the falls were still pounding. But this past weekend I went back with some friends only discover to my disbelief and incredulity... It finally happened. The falls are just... gone! Its shocking.

Ok, they not GONE... as one friend insists, they are still there under water. And is it bad? The dam will be really good for Uganda, right? Hopefully it will bring jobs, electricity and economic growth/development... its true. BUT AT WHAT COST? IS it a worthwhile sacrifice?? Are aesthetic, natural wonders worthy of being in and of themselves? Or, perhaps the benefits to Ugandans outweigh the need for one more set of rapids. And the landscape just changed. Its still a pretty spot. And maybe in the grand scheme of things, these falls are a worthwhile sacrifice. I just can't help but feel a bit sad for the loss of something magnificent and good.

And to be there was just rather shocking. In place of what WAS roaring class 5 rapids, is now a placid, meandering river. What?

Sara, who was visiting, and I went to the Nile Porch with Gwyn for some dam consolatory drinks.

I still feel rather shocked.

1 comment:

Paul Robinson said...

Sigh...Will every wild place be gone?