Friday, November 25, 2011

Thankfulness

Jean Evelyn Robinson
1923-2011
I am thankful for my grandma Robinson. She lived a very full 88 years of life... she was adventurous, brave, independent, stubborn, mischievous-- full of beans really. I am thankful for this picture I have of her under a big beautiful Mango tree in Congo. That tree behind her speaks so clearly of her life. Faithful. Rooted. Strong.

I am thankful that this summer we spent a good week with her in Florida before hear health really started to decline. And I am thankful for this picture of her, of us. It captures something so very grandma, and is exactly how I will always remember her.

And I am ever so thankful that I was able to be with her as she bravely stepped from this life into the next... And I am thankful for this picture, of my hand in hers in those last hours. And of the steadiness I feel in that... my life which has, in part, grown out of hers. Her life and experiences sustaining, supporting, gently encouraging and challenging mine.

I love you, grandma. Thank you for a life well lived and a rich and beautiful heritage to live into.

4 comments:

Molly said...

This is beautiful Rachel, just beautiful.

Paul Robinson said...

I agree with Molly. So, special! And guess what, I found the original of the picture of Grandma and the mango tree. So copies can be made!

Anonymous said...

What precious things you have from your Grandma. The photos are just wonderful. And the last one made me teary--I missed both passings of my grandmothers and it is so very special to have been with her at the first moments of her journey.
xoxo
Kim

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness. so wonderful. thank you for sharing and I LOVE the picture under that mango tree. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I also think it is a perfect representation of her life. how did she know? ;) Love you!
MJ