Friday, January 28, 2011

Coordinators day off...

Thats right folks... a day OFF... Wednesday, January 26... NRM day here in Uganda... the day Museveni and his National Resistance Movement came into power in 1986. So not having to teach or be in the office, my coworker-upstairs neighbor-and good friend here, Gwyn and I decided to find a pool side to enjoy. And to boot, we've hit the dog days... things are drying up, mud or dirt has turned into clouds of blowing dust. And its hot. Good and HOT.

Gwyn: The smart one, enjoying the hot day from the safety of some dappled shade....

Rachel: the not-so-smart one, enjoying the full force of the equatorial sun... resulting in some toasty knee caps at the end of the day. (I THOUGHT I'd done a good job applying sunscreen....)
Ah, but no regrets. Especially when I hear from friends elsewhere of cold wet snow, trees breaking under the weight of ice, and hitting that point mid-winter when it is all just too much. Too cold. Too grey. Too dark and too tiresome. NO THANKS... so this is for you, all of you in the far north... I soaked up all the gloriously hot sunshine I possibly could JUST FOR YOU. And I'm beaming it to you now, straight from my screaming red kneecaps. Can you FEEEEEL it? :) If you can't, well then I just don't know...

Much LOVE!

3 comments:

molly said...

my knees are feeling hot now!
i love that last pic you posted of the overlapping leaves.

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

O my goodness. It looks like paradise. Thanks for getting sunburned on our behalf. Outside of my window: snow, snow, snow. Sometimes the differences in coexisting places on the earth blow my mind. Put the sunshine in an envelope, seal it very carefully, and please send it to Pennsylvania!

Allison said...

Looks like a lovely day, Rachel! Hurrah for a day off! I too am amazed that there are places of glorious sunshine and heat and dust while my reality is full of glorious snow and cold and winter beauty. Thanks for sharing a bit of your reality with us. :)